Bertalan Árkay (April 11, 1901 – November 23, 1971), son of architect Aladár Árkay, studied at Budapest Technical University until 1925 and subsequently worked under his father as well as in the Vienna offices of [[Peter Behrens]].
Together with his father, they designed the Roman Catholic memorial church at Mohács which was begun in 1926 and funded by donations. Árkay workon on the Városmajori Roman Catholic church in Budapest from 1932 to 1933, after his father's death. The building - with its concrete structure and separate bell tower - was the city's first modern church. He designed residential buildings in the VIII district on the south side of Köztársaság tér (1933-34).
In 1936 he designed the Hungarian pavilion for the Triennale in Milan and from 1945 worked on restoration of historic buildings - e.g. the Museum of Fine Arts in Budapest and churches in Vác. From 1949 he worked at the Institution for Public Building Design and also designed a number of schools (e.g. Sátoraljaújhely, 1943) and apartment buildings. His plans are preserved in the Budapest History Museum.
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.