Csaba Virág (12 May 1933 – 31 May 2015) was a Hungarian architect. He studied in 1951-1956 at the Budapest University of Technology. In 1957-1962 he continued working at the university, then in 1962 he joined IPARTERV, the state company responsible for industrial architecture. He moved to LAKÓTERV, specialized on apartment buildings, in 1972. In 1994 he founded his own office under the name of ‘Virág Csaba & Z.H.J. Építésziroda’ with Judit Z. Halmágyi as partner.
As a practicioner, Virág has always been open for international influences – he introduced high-tech architecture to Hungary and later opened towards postmodern. His 70s buildings designed in the Buda Castle area show clear and conscious modernity. With his first wife, architect Margit Pázmándi he designed the new headquarters for Hungarian Television and a huge hi-tech center for the Hungarian State News Office – the latter was realized on Buda’s Naphegy tér. He produced a wide array of buildings after founding his own office, among the the postmodern Lauder Javne Jewish School and the Kálvin Center office buildings, a controversial glass edifice complex in Budapest’s centrally located Kálvin tér. His second wife, Judit Milasovszky, is also an architect. Csaba Virág received the Ybl Miklós Prize in 1968 and 1974.
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.