Franco Albini was an Italian architect and designer. He graduated at the Faculty of Architecture of the Polytechnic Institute of Milan in 1929. At the beginning of his career is especially characterized by ephemeral works: startds, exhibitions and interior decoration. He was interested in what can tradition transmit more ingenious, particularly forms of cultured architecture of the past. From 1940 to 1950 he collaborated with Ignacio Gardella and Giancarlo de Carlo. In 1950 he did his first major intervention in an old building, at the Communal Galleries of Palazzo Bianco in Genova. In Genoa he worked on the restoration of the Palazzo Rosso (1952) and the museum Treasury San Lorenzo (1952).
He taught at the School of Milan from 1963 until his death. He was a member of the International Congress of Modern Architecture (CIAM) and INU (National Institute of Urban Planning). Also he worked as an industrial designer. Over the years he exceeds the limits of rationalism as dogma, without leaving aside the basic principles and themes of his work: identification of form and structure.
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.