Ivan Sergeevich Nikolaev (1901, Voronezh – 1979, Moscow) was a Soviet architect and educator, notable for his late 1920s constructivist architecture and later work in industrial architecture. Nikolaev studied at the Moscow State Technical University under Alexander Vesnin and Alexey Kuznetsov, graduating in 1925. His work prior to 1928 was generally unnoticed (excluding a brief apprenticeship at the 1923 national agricultural exhibition).
In 1928 Nikolaev designed a residential block in Preobrazhenskoye District of Moscow - three buildings of traditional low-cost architecture shaped as an arrow pointed at the Old Believers' Preobrazhenskoye Cemetery. In 1928-1929 he worked as construction manager, building the modernist campus of Moscow Power Engineering Institute designed by Alexey Kuznetsov; Nikolaev received a credit for this project as one of Kuznetsov's six associates.
In 1929 Nikolaev won a public contest for the Communal House of the Textile Institute - a modern campus for 2000 students. With the advent of Stalinist architecture Nikolaev, like the Vesnin brothers, switched to industrial architecture and was not involved in high-profile public projects anymore. His better known projects of 1930s-1940s were built for the textile industry, including the 1935 Kayseri Sumerbank factory in Turkey.
Nikolaev wrote a prolific number of textbooks and research books on architecture, notably “Architecture of Roman Aqueducts”, and was elected member of the Academy of Architecture in 1956. He has been a member of the faculty of Moscow colleges since 1925. Eventually, Nikolaev completely dedicated himself to education, and held the chair of the director of the Moscow Architectural Institute from 1958 to 1970.
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.