Ludwig Leo (September 2nd 1924 - November 1st 2012) was a German architect. Although his work is generally not very well known, it is very much appreciated in architecture circles. Often cited are his building for the German Life Saving Society and the Circulation Tank for the Research Institute of Hydraulic Engineering. Both are located in Berlin and have already been granted historic monument status.
Leo studied engineering in Hamburg before integrating the University of the Arts in Berlin (Hochschule der Künste) to study architecture. He completed his studies in 1954. Thereafter he worked with various well known German architects including Oswald Mathias Ungers, Wassili and Hans Luckhardt and Paul Baumgarten. In 1956 he opened his own studio in Berlin. However, he remained interested in academic work. Between 1963 and 1967 he was an assistant to Oswald Mathias Ungers at the Technical University of Berlin and in 1976 he was appointed Professor of Planning at the University of the Arts in Berlin where he taught until his retirement in 1982. In 1988, he was awarded the German Critics' Prize.
Ludwig Leo realized only a limited number, but they display an astonishing variety of types and programs. They include a day care center, student housing, a sports complex, technical and research facilities and residential housing.
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.