Ruth Rivera Marín (Mexico, 1927-1969) was the first woman to graduate from the College of Engineering and Architecture at the National Polytechnic Institute in Mexico in 1950. Daughter of Mexican renowned muralist Diego Rivera and well-known actress and writer Guadalupe Rivera Marín, she was early on introduced to the world of the arts and culture. She studied urban rehabilitation in Rome after working in the master plan for the city of Celaya, Guanajuato for the public service. She then returned to Mexico to teach architecture Theory, Architectural Composition and Urban Planning Theory, and furthering her intellectual acumen and nationalist ideal working closely with Diego Rivera and architects Juan O’Gorman, Pedro Ramírez Vázquez and Enrique Yañez.
By the 1960’s she became head of planning for the Ministry of public Education’s National Systems of Regional Rural School. Rivera would later be involved on the building of the national Medical Center and the Museum of Modern art in close collaboration with Pedro Ramírez Vázquez; as well as with Luis Barragan on the Museum ‘El Eco’ in Mexico City. Her most noted work was the Anahuacalli Museum in association with Diego Rivera and Juan O’Gorman; and her design for the Mexican Pavilion for the 1962 Century 21 Fair in Seattle alongside Carlos Mijares. Rivera then ran Notebooks of Architecture and Conservation of the Artistic patrimony and its supplement Notebooks of Architecture, a journal of theory and practice in the discipline that was the basis for teaching in the XX Century in Mexico.