The United States established diplomatic relations with India in 1946, the year prior to its independence from Great Britain and formal recognition by the United States. Plans for the construction of the American Embassy in New Delhi began in the early 1950s and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Earl Warren laid the cornerstone in 1956.
Designed by Edward D. Stone, the architect of the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., the embassy complex combines the best in South Asian architecture with Western concepts.
The architecture for his 1959 American Embassy in New Delhi, India, recalls at once the finest edifices in Indian architecture with its use of concrete sunscreens and symbolizes the might and power of the United States.
The building was completed in 1959 and opened in a ceremony attended by Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, whereupon it was placed on the Department of State’s Register of Culturally Significant Properties. The same facility is still in use today.