Forgot Password?
Register
Register
Forgot Password
Add to Collection

Civic Center Synagogue

New York City, USA
1 of 4 Marius Watz

Baruchim Ha Ba'im. Also known as the Synagogue for the Arts, the Civic Center Synagogue is a spiritual, cultural, and communal center of traditional Judaism, located in downtown Manhattan's Tribeca neighborhood.

The unabashedly modernist Civic Center Synagogue was designed by William N. Breger and completed in 1967. While the building is completely out of context among the 19th-century buildings surrounding it, there is a certain optimism to its mid-20th-century exhuberance that makes it seem somehow fitting.

The Civic Center Synagogue was founded by Jacob J. Rosenblum in 1938 in a loft above a store to serve the area's lawyers, civil servants and textile workers for weekday services. The Synagogue constructed its own building at 80 Duane Street in 1957, but that site was seized by eminent domain only three years later to make way for the Jacob Javits Federal Office Building. However, in compensation for the lost land, the Synaguge was given this plot for a new building in TriBeCa.

The fortunes of the Synagogue faded with those of the surrounding city in the 1970s and 1980s, but the rebirth of the city in the 1990s led to a rebirth of the congregation. The name was changed to "Synagogue for the Arts" to reflect the cultural changes in the neighborhood.

The award-winning contemporary building features a distinctive flame-shaped, sky-lit sanctuary, outdoor sculpture plaza, a large gallery for events, and a well-equipped kosher kitchen.

Today, with Tribeca, Soho, Battery Park City, and Wall Street home to a growing number of Jewish families and individuals, Civic Center is a full-service synagogue.