The experimental INA Social Housing of San Giuliano in Mestre is one of the most interesting housing realization of the Italian second postwar. Giuseppe Samonà and Luigi Piccinato developed the project at the school of architecture of Venice since 1946. The studies were conducted with participative architecture in order to satisfied worker needs and placed in a Mestre area, well-connect to Venice. The intent was to create a self-sufficient city able to host a mixture of social belonging through the design and the public spaces. The housing complex was planned with external car circulation, eight housing block, and a civic center. Different residential options were designed: duplex, 4 stories, and towers, based on Egle Renata Trincanato "Secondary Venice" housing research.
On 1951, after INA housing approval, the complex was constructed in two periods with an extra longitudinal car connection, but without the civic center and the sports area. The new city for 12.000 inhabitants was developed in minor area for 1000-2000 people within different facilities like cinema, church, school, market, and a smaller housing density.