Even in Budapest, the Bauhaus era left behind some very interesting and valuable buildings. One of its centres is the inner part of Buda, the Pasarét, which started to infiltrate during the 1930s. In 1931, according to the Stuttgart model, the capital city allowed for an entire street to be built in by various designers and entrepreneurs sensitive to modern architecture.
In 1931, some representatives of the modern architecture style made a proposal to the Budapest Public Works Council to have a whole street designed by the best architects, based on an example in Germany, the Weissenhof Estate .
The plan was implemented one year later. In spite of using small sites, an enthusiastic builder devoted to modern architecture carried out the outstanding plans in a magnificent way. There is a small square in the middle of the street, where a stone displays the names of all architects involved. There are altogether 22 villas, with a creek called Devil’s Trench on one side. Although some of the houses have been rebuilt since then, the original character was maintained nearly everywhere.
The houses and architects in order: László Vágó (Napraforgó street no.1), Gyula Wälder (no.2), Péter Kaffka (no.3), Virgil Bierbauer (no.4), Lajos Kozma (no.5,6,8), Andor Wellisch (no.7), Róbert Kertész K. (no.9,11) Aladár Münnich (no.10) Ervin Quittner (no.12), László Vágó (no.13), Béla Tauszig and Zsigmond Róth (no.14), György Masirevich (no.15), Henrik Böhm and Ármin Hegedűs(no.16), Pál Ligeti, Károly Weichinger (no.18), Alfréd Hajós (no.19), Joszef Fischer (no.20), Gedeon Gerlóczy (Napraforgó Street 21), Béla Barat and Ede Novák (no.22)